Fair Warning:

FAIR WARNING:

Do not expect any manner of consistency, relevancy, or coloring within the lines on this blog. Such qualities may in fact be found here on rare occasion. But it's just better not to expect them.

Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuning in to Tuesday: Firebird Palooza


What do "Fantasia 2000,"
Evan Lysacek,
and my recently begun
Fall semester
all have in common?

BEHOLD:
Igor Stravinsky's The Firebird


Technically, this piece is really a whole Russian ballet worth of music. But it is commonly performed as individual "selections of The Firebird Suite."

And it is, well...

SPECTACULAR.

Now, back to those 3 seemingly unrelated items.

First, I fell in love with this:



And then, during the 2010 Winter Olympics,
there came THIS:
(firebird theme really gets going around 1:23)



And if that is not one of the most
inspirational performances ever,
I don't know what is.

And then, a few days before this semester began, I got this email from my orchestra teacher:


I do recall my eyes tearing up a little bit.

That is how crazy in love I am with this piece.

And please....
PLEASE.
PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSE.
If you only watch one of the videos in this post,
MAKE SURE IT IS THIS ONE:



Because although it skips over the
EPIC "danger" music part,
it makes up for it.
Because that right there is
STRAVINSKY HIMSELF.
And if his explosion of emotion at the finale doesn't just say it all....

Oh, and if a slow cacophonous chord progression isn't really your cup of tea, feel free to skip to 4:20.

And if slow lyrical passages aren't your thing, either, go ahead and jump over to 6:00 for the emotion explosion itself.

It may very well be that I have the most
euphoric orchestra performance
of my life coming up.

Updates surely to come :)

The best conductors need only use energetic fist pumps,
Monica.

No comments: